Kira Kurtzman D.O.
Dr. Kira Kurtzman D.O.
What is your hometown?
- Houston, TX.
Where did you attend medical school?
- Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine at University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC) – Fort Worth, Texas.
What other educational credentials do you have?
- Masters in Biomedical Science from UNTHSC.
- Bachelors in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology – Emory University.
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS TM ) – Fort Worth, TX.
What are your particular clinical interests and why?
- Performing arts medicine: I am interested in performing arts medicine because I believe that it is important to provide comprehensive care to performers. Performers face unique challenges when it comes to their health, and they need a doctor who understands their needs. I am also interested in the intersection of dance and medicine, and I believe that dance can be used as a therapeutic tool for people with a variety of health conditions.
- Sports medicine: I am interested in sports medicine because I enjoy working with athletes and helping them to reach their full potential. I am also interested in the prevention and treatment of sports injuries.
- Osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM): I am interested in OMM because I believe that it is a valuable tool for the treatment of a variety of conditions. OMM uses gentle hands-on techniques to improve the function of the body’s musculoskeletal system. I believe that OMM can be a valuable addition to the treatment of a variety of conditions, including pain, fatigue, and stress.
- Lifestyle medicine: I am interested in lifestyle medicine because I believe that it is important to address the underlying causes of disease. Lifestyle medicine focuses on the prevention and treatment of disease through lifestyle changes, such as diet, exercise, and stress management. I believe that lifestyle medicine can be a valuable tool for improving the health of individuals and populations.
- Psychiatry: I am interested in psychiatry because I believe that mental health is just as important as physical health. I am also interested in the intersection of dance and mental health, and I believe that dance can be used as a therapeutic tool for people with a variety of mental health conditions.
What inspired you to pursue a career in family medicine?
I am inspired to pursue a career in family medicine because of my background in dance and my interest in human performance. My dance background has given me a unique perspective on the human body and how it functions. I am passionate about helping people improve their health and quality of life. I enjoy working with patients and building relationships with them. I believe that family medicine is the best way to combine my love of medicine with my desire to help people. I am excited to start my career in family medicine and help people live healthier lives.
Why did you choose the Community Based Family Medicine Residency program?
I chose the Community-Based Family Medicine Residency program in San Antonio, Texas because of its focus on community health. I believe that it is important for family physicians to be involved in their communities and to work to improve the health of the populations they serve. The Community-Based Family Medicine Residency program in San Antonio provides residents with the opportunity to work with a variety of community partners, including schools, churches, and non-profit organizations.
I also like to participate in Walk with a Doc in the community. Walk with a Doc is a free program that brings together doctors and community members for a walk and discussion about health topics. I enjoy participating in Walk with a Doc because it is a great way to connect with people in the community and to talk about health. I believe that it is important to promote healthy lifestyles, and I am glad to be able to do that through Walk with a Doc.
I am confident that the Community-Based Family Medicine Residency program in San Antonio will provide me with the training and experience I need to be a successful family physician. I am excited to start my training and to begin my career in family medicine.
Please outline any honors or awards you have received in the past:
- Going Above and Beyond in Community Service, Office of Student Development UNTHSC Fort Worth, TX 4/2018.
- Dean’s List at Emory University.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of medicine?
- Scuba Diving: Over 50 dives, PADI Certifications include Rescue Diver, Open Water; Advanced Open Water, Underwater Habitat Specialty, Whale Shark Specialty.
- Swing Dance: I try and go swing dancing at least once a week. I’m no longer a ballerina but dance is still a great joy and way to relax in my life.
- Gardening: I have a variety of herbs, flowers, vegetables, and even a papaya tree on my patio.
- Board games: Enjoy many game nights with friends including dungeons and dragons.
Dr. Kira Kurtzman D.O.